May 19, 2009

Careful what you wi- nope, too cliche. (a.k.a. the second beginning of a Northern journey)

Nine months ago, when I sat in the Edmonton International Airport and began typing the previous post on this blog, I had no idea my words would become kind of an accidental prophesy. I wrote that I was tempted to catch a flight to Inuvik, just for the hell of it, when I knew I couldn't do that. I was headed back to Halifax, with no plans to return North anytime in the near future.
But here I am, sitting in the Edmonton airport again, laptop on knees, typing away, waiting for a flight to Yellowknife, whence I shall proceed to my final destination: Inuvik.
I'm not going totally for the hell of it. Business is my primary reason for the trip, but I'm looking forward to what I hope will be an adventure. This time it's for real. I don't have school to fall back on anymore; I have to be a genuine, full-time journalist. As Dan Aykroyd's character emphasizes so frighteningly in Ghostbusters, "you've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."
Eeeeesh. Trying not to stress about that part.
I'm staying in Yk for a couple of days before starting out in Inuvik (Canada's northern-most town of 3,000 that does not have a Tim Hortons but does have a Pizza Hut, according to the Internet), so I'm taking comfort in that I'll be somewhere familiar for a little while before I go off on my own. I haven't told Les and Margita that I'm headed their way, but maybe I'll find time to stop by and see them before I leave the capital.
Also, I just got Skype. Don't know how to use it, but I figure it may serve as an easy way to determine who among my university acquaintances was actually being sincere when we all promised to keep in touch after graduation.
So, that's all for now. I'll update when/if I can get a reliable connection for my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment